Director of Federal Policy
SUMMARY: Responsible for coordination, strategy and logistics for political activity, policy and regulations at the federal level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Federal Policy Lead
- Works with the President and Administrator to develop and implement legislative strategy on relevant issues.
- Analyze legislation and regulatory proposals within Manager’s portfolio and manage the delegation of analysis to other staff.
- Advise the Executive Committee and Board of Directors on bills and regulations that impact farming and ranching.
- Testify before relevant committees, meet with agency officials and elected officials and advocate for Farm Bureau policies.
- Coordinate with Legal Division on litigation and regulatory matters that are national in scope.
- Advise Executive and Political Affairs on federal political spending priorities.
- Analyze, modify or create farm bureau policies to be discussed by members at the house of delegates.
- Develop county and board communications highlighting activities of Farm Bureau
Policy Division Group Trips (Leadership and Issue Related Trips)
- Work with Federal Policy Division to coordinate scheduling of trip dates and subsequently with Leadership Meeting Planner to secure travel arrangements and accommodations
- Work with Political Affairs and Member Advocacy Division to schedule appointments with congressional and agency offices and coordinating other logistics such as travel arrangements, accommodations, restaurant reservations and tour activities
- Prepare informational packets on trip itineraries and logistics for attendees
- Ensure that related follow-up activities, including processing expense vouchers, sending thank-you letters and submitting invoices to counties are conducted
- Prepare and manage Department Budget
- Supervise Federal Policy staff.
- Facilitate requests from county farm Bureaus, congressional offices, CFBF members and CFBF staff.
- Maintain congressional database information, merges, list servers, etc.
- Coordinate logistics for other meetings as requested
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in or related field.
- Five years’ experience in the federal policy area.
- Five years’ experience in more than one type of agricultural endeavor.
- Two years supervisory/managerial experience.
- Knowledge of political, economic, and international agricultural affairs.
- Knowledge of state and federal legislative processes and the leaders involved.
- Ability to work effectively with volunteer organizations and ensure satisfaction of members.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.