Wildfire Aid


Apply for FEMA relief online, and download the FEMA Help After a Disaster guide. For local FEMA office information, look here.

Residential Property Claims Guide, California Department of Insurance

Single Family Housing – Those whose property was destroyed or severely damaged, or who have been displaced from a rental unit by fire, may receive priority hardship application processing for home loans from USDA Rural Development.

Multi-Family Housing – If a property was destroyed by the fire, USDA Rural Development can issue a priority letter for the next available Multi-Family Housing unit to affected residents.

Home Disaster Loans – USDA Rural Development offers loans to homeowners or renters to repair or replace disaster-damaged real estate and personal property, including automobiles.


Rural Business & Cooperative Programs – USDA Rural Development offers business loans through intermediaries and guaranteed business loans.

Business Physical Disaster Loans – Businesses of any size, as well as private, nonprofit organizations, may apply for Small Business Administration loans to repair or replace disaster-damaged property, including real estate, inventories, supplies, machinery and equipment.

Economic Injury Disaster Loans (EIDL) – SBA offers working-capital loans to help small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small aquaculture businesses and private, non-profit organizations meet financial obligations that cannot be met because of the disaster. These loans are intended to assist through the disaster recovery period.


Livestock Indemnity Program – The USDA offers the Livestock Indemnity Program to reimburse producers up to 75 percent of the market value of animals lost due to adverse weather conditions, including wildfires.

Non Insured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) – This USDA program enables ranchers who have previously applied for coverage to receive compensation for a loss of forage due to drought or other natural disasters, including wildfire.

Emergency Conservation Program – Administered through local Farm Service Agency offices, this program assists ranchers with fence construction and repairing other rangeland infrastructure that may have been lost or damaged due to a natural disaster.

Emergency Livestock Assistance Program (ELAP) – This program compensates producers for a percentage of pasture or forage loss on private lands due to natural disasters. Complete applications are due by Oct. 30.

Livestock Forage Disaster Program – This USDA program compensates producers who suffer pasture or forage loss due to drought or who have federally managed grazing leases but are not allowed to graze the lease because of wildfire.

Emergency Forest Restoration Program (EFRP) – Nonindustrial private forest landowners may apply for emergency measures to restore land damaged by a natural disaster.

Tree Assistance Program – This USDA program provides financial assistance to replant or rehabilitate eligible trees, bushes and vines damaged by natural disasters.

Environmental Quality Incentive Program – There are special catastrophic fire funds available under EQIP.

Livestock Assistance – The HALTER Project can help care for animals left behind in evacuations and assist in moving livestock.

2017 Wildfires and Hurricanes Indemnity Program (2017 WHIP): 2017 WHIP provides disaster payments to agricultural producers to offset losses from hurricanes, such as Harvey, Irma, Maria and Nate, as well as devastating wildfires during 2017.


Housing support for agricultural employees – The Sonoma County Grape Growers Foundation and Sonoma County Farm Bureau have established a housing recovery fund for agricultural employees and their families displaced from their homes by wildfires.

Pastureland – The Sonoma County office of UC Cooperative Extension is seeking people with pastureland that could be made available to ranchers whose land was affected by the fires.

Community Facilities Loans – USDA Rural Development provides low-interest loans for essential community facilities such as fire equipment, community centers, city vehicles, food banks and child-care facilities.

Water Environmental Programs – USDA Rural Development offers low-interest loans for water and waste disposal systems and facilities including buildings, equipment, wells and pipe.

Electric Loan Programs – Eligible rural utilities may qualify for expedited processing for USDA Rural Development low-interest loans to finance electric infrastructure.


Affected Nationwide or Allied Insurance customers may contact Nationwide or Allied Insurance day or night to report a claim by calling 1-800-421-3535.

  • Nationwide offers the following tips for homeowners to help protect from contractor/repair fraud:
  • Request an itemized, written estimate for any proposed work from contractors.
  • Be wary of estimates that seem wholly unreasonable. Nationwide will provide compensation for reasonable estimates for the correct method of repair. Policyholders can call and ask Nationwide about an estimate.
  • Beware of profiteers and fraudulent contractors. Contact your local Better Business Bureau or the California Department of Insurance if you have any concerns with a contractor you may decide to use for repairs.
  • Avoid paying any upfront fees and be wary of cash deposits. One common scam is to show up with equipment to perform the work, promise to return in a few hours and never come back.
  • It is always a good idea to take pictures of any damage before repairs begin.
  • If you have any questions, call the Nationwide claims hotline at 1-800-421-3535 or your local agent immediately.


Farm Bureau Offices

USDA Agency Contacts

NRCS County Offices

FSA County Offices